Balanced Man Program
SigEp’s Balanced Man Program (BMP) provides the structure, support and guidance required for today’s student to fully utilize the 90 percent of college they spend outside of classroom walls. It’s in this part of the college experience — the unplanned, unstructured hours — that students discover their passions and plan their futures. For our brothers, much of this time is spent with their chapters — it’s where they build close bonds of friendship and learn how to communicate and work with others, to lead, and to speak in front of a crowd. Our brothers accomplish all of this through the Balanced Man Program (BMP).
Based on equal rights and responsibilities for all members, the program’s progressive challenges provide brothers the opportunity to grow and fine-tune skills they can’t get in the classroom. Alumni, volunteers and university faculty and administration serve as mentors in the program, providing accountability and support. BMP programming helps young brothers strengthen their character. It enables our young men to build leadership and communication skills and develop healthy, lifelong relationships.
The Balanced Man Program is the centerpiece of the SigEp chapter experience and provides the experience that today’s student needs to be successful during and after college. The Balanced Man Program is a non-pledging, non-hazing, four-year, personal, academic, leadership and professional skills development experience. Here is how the Balanced Man Program accomplishes those ideals.
The program is founded on five philosophical tenets:
- Equal rights and responsibilities – Full membership upon joining
- Continuous development – Growing throughout life
- Accountability – Committing to SigEp’s high standards
- Living the Ritual – Incorporating SigEp’s values into everyday life
- Mentoring – Maximizing growth through guidance and support
… and takes the form of four self-paced challenges that span throughout the college career …
… focusing on five areas of development:
BMP Implementation Resources
- The Balanced Man Program App was designed to provide an engaging platform for officers to customize and effectively implement their chapter’s BMP, and for every brother to take ownership of his personal growth and professional development.
- To help brothers and others understand the Balanced Man Program there is a simple One-Page Guide to the Balanced Man Program that highlights the main components of the BMP.
- The Balanced Man Program Guide is a comprehensive user’s guide that outlines the BMP philosophy, people, process and programming.